Saturday, April 9, 2011

So far So good

It has been almost a year since I started driving the Celica as my daily drive. Besides the mishap stated in my previous post, it has been so far so good with it. Of course there had been many changes I had to make being as it is a big transition from a tall compact sedan to a low long sports car. There are issues like seating, steering, power and transmission, length and view.

This Celica came with a Recaro semi-bucket seat that is in every car enthusiast's wish list. I was excited when I first saw it but it took some time to get the best position for my not so tall 176 cm height and because it is a low and long car, my feet is stretched out. So, the pedals are a bit different distance and I have to sit a bit slanting backward as I could hit my head on the roof if I speed through a bump.

On the other hand, I have seen and read about how different cars have different turning circle and most sports car can't turn well. In the beginning I didn't realized it but as I like to reverse park, it felt that I have to make more moves to get the car in the box. Furthermore since the car is low, it is hard to see the parking box. I had to lower one side of the side mirror just to see the lines.

One of the first thing that I realized about the car was the many blind spots especially when I turn left to see the rear and the front with its long bonnet. I couldn't see well when I am behind other cars especially trucks and SUV. It makes over taking and shifting lane a hard task. The doors are another problem. It is longer than a usual car which makes regular car parks a small space to open doors.

This is my first time having a high power car. The engines has so much more juice compare to the Vios that I can't get used to it. Celica gave me a chance to experience high revs and high power mated with a 4 speed tiptronic gearbox. The transmission is also a new thing to me as I finally get to shift up and down on my own without the car shifting for me making me feel in control for the first time.

Despite many changes needed to adapt to the Celica, there are some advantages that the Celica has. The Celica only has a 1.8l engine and that contributes to low road tax and lower fuel consumption (although higher than a manual unit), 420 km for 50 litre of petrol, compared to larger sports car like the Nissan Fairlady 350z. The maintenance is also fairly cheap with many parts to source from . Overall it is a good car for city drive with occasional speeding. I'm happy with it and hope to have many more years.


No comments:

Post a Comment