Friday, March 31, 2017

Test Drive: Mercedes Benz S400 Hybrid

A few months ago, my father pondered on his current Mercedes Benz E-Class, which turned 7 years old in 2017. Usually, 7 years is the time he would consider to change his car and also the time when a model change is due for all Mercedes models. That is when he started to consider getting the new W213 E-Class or the W221 S-Class for his replacement. I supported the idea of the S-Class because he already had two E-Class and he should get an upgrade. However, I do not think he should get the W221 as the newer W222 was already a 4 year model. One day, I managed to convince him to go down to the Mercedes dealer and look at the W222 and he was hooked. Then he came upon an ad on the newspaper and I made a few calls. In the end, it was love at first sight and he offered the owner a good price. That is how my father became the owner of a Mercedes Benz S-Class (W222). The car is a blue, 2015, S 400 Hybrid model with only 4XXX km mileage. This is his first buy of Mercedes' flagship model, his first hybrid car and also the first time he bought a used car. I was truly surprised by how fast the deal went through. In brief, this S400H has a 3.5 liter V6 engine, coupled with an electric motor that produces roughly 330 bhp and 390 Nm of torque. It has a 7 speed Automatic transmission with paddle shift, which would translate into good fuel consumption.



When my father first drove the S400H back, I was impressed by how high tech and comfortable this car is. There are a lot more gadgets and the seats are very comfortable, especially the back seats. A good way to describe the rear seats would be "Business Class on wheels". The rear seats is fully adjustable and there is even a button that folds the front passenger seat and reclines the left rear seat to a position similar to a massage chair. I noticed that the start button of this car is similar to the new C-Class, where it is just a plastic cover on the key hole, which is a let down. I started the car but it felt weird because there was no engine idling sound. Although it is normal for a hybrid car, it is new to me. After a few minutes of fiddling here and there, I have really forgotten whether did I start the car or not. Another thing that is unusual for me is the gear shifter. Due to space constraints, the A-Class and B-Class have its gear shifter at the steering wheel, where normally the turn signal stalk is for Japanese cars. Mercedes soon applied this design over all range including the C-Class, E-Class and S-Class. So, there wont be a gear lever on the center console and it is confusing for most owners. My father always mistaken it for the turn signal and had accidentally put the car into neutral and that is dangerous. He needs getting used to it.

3.5 liter V6 with 307 bhp and 370 Nm of torque
20 Inches
Finally, I was ready to drive after adjusting the seat and all mirrors. Before I drove the car, I expected the acceleration would be reluctant because of its size and weight but surprisingly, that was not the case. The suspension however, is as expected, very soft with body roll being obvious, even with slightest turn of the steering wheel. Then, I found the magic button, that changes the suspension setting from "Comfortable" to "Sports". Immediately the wobbliness was negated and I could feel in control of the car with minimal body roll. The power delivery is smooth and linear because of the NA V6 engine's characteristic and with the 7 speed gear box, gear ratios are short and shifts fast. The car built is sturdy and heavy, which makes it feels slower than the actual speed. I thought I was driving around at 100 km/h but when I looked at the speedometer, I was actually going around 140 km/h. The brakes are 4 pots in the front and I could understand the need of it when this car has so much horsepower and torque but it comes to me as too sensitive. One of the biggest hassle of driving the S400H is definitely the size of the car especially during parking. Parking spaces in Malaysia are small and at multi level carparks, the turning area to move between floors are tight. This makes it hard to maneuver and risk scratching the paint.


Gear Shifter by the Steering Wheel
Just a Cover
Electric Parking Brake


Overall, I prefer the NA engine because unlike the turbo models, the torque comes linearly and do not break your neck (if you know what I mean). The S400H's V6 provides a lot of power and torque. That is why even without turbo, the car can go fast. As of the car, this really is not my type of car. This is a case where too big is not a good thing. Having said that, I think it is a good buy for my father. It really is an upgrade for him. More luxurious, more high tech than the ordinary E-Class.    

Comparison with his E-Class

Bonus: During night drive, interior will glow.

Night Glow with multiple choice of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment