Monday, June 6, 2011

Sightings from East Side

I have been to Sabah, East Malaysia for the past 4 days and as usual my eyes are ready to make sightings of the auto situation over there. This was my first time there but I've heard about how majority of the cars there are big car with many trucks. I brought this insight along with me and wondered what kind of big cars await my arrival.

There is some truth in that statement as I did saw many big cars from trucks like Mitsubishi Triton, Toyota Hilux and Isuzu D-Max to SUVs like Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Rush and MPVs like Toyota Alphard and Vellfire. However, as it is part of Malaysia, there are also many Protons and Peroduas. Smaller sedans seems to be missing though.

I am more interested in the sports car situation there. I read about members of JDM sports car club about having members there. So there should be sports car running around. My first encounter was the car seller there. There was a lot of JDM sports like Subaru Impreza, Nissan Fairlady 350z, Nissan Skyline V35 and Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X.

So, the supply is there but is there demand for these beauties ? I did not have much luck seeing sports car being driven but I did make some sightings. I saw one white Toyota Celica with nice body kit. I was surprise to see one Toyota sports as they are not popular and in the outskirts area. Then there was a Nissan Fairlady 350z with stickers and a few Toyota Caldina.

The other surprise was the amount of Nissan Skyline V35 I spotted there. It is hard to find one here but I've spotted 3 there and a few for sale. I even saw one as a wedding car. There has to be a reason for its popularity there. I did not have many chances to snap photos of the sports car scene to share. It is really too bad. Maybe the sports car scene there is more hidden than a tourist could find.



No comments:

Post a Comment