Saturday, June 25, 2011

Project Update Part.3

It has been a week since I brought my Celica home after the front brake transplant. The electrical problems caused by a loose connector is solved and I have gotten to know my new brakes a little more and these are the problems.

Problem No.1
As there is no machining of the brake rotors, it is very big and the 4 pot calipers grips very well. This causes the ECU to always perceive that the wheels are about to lock and causes the ABS to kick in. When it kicks in only at low speed and during jam, the ABS motor will screech as it is working 4 times more than previously.

Problem No.2
The original location of the ABS sensor is below the rotors facing upward but because I'm using the ST205 knuckles, the ABS sensor is now above the rotors facing downward. If the car is still or driving under 140 km/h, there would not be a problem but when I drive above 160 km/h, the ABS signal would light up and disable the ABS. This is later found to be caused by the sensor sensing metal is blocking the signal as the sensor is magnetic.



Problem No.3
The 4 pots calipers are 3.9 kg each and the rotor size is 315 mm x 32 mm. The weight of the rotors are unknown but it is not light. All this weight makes the steering seem slightly heavy when you are parking or just rolling.

At the end of the day, the screeching problem (No.1) can be solved with some practice and getting used to but the ABS problem (No.2) always repeat (already twice) and need to discuss with the mechanic. Whether the ABS is working or not, the 4 pots big brakes are working like a charm and I love it. Only when it is working and the screeching really annoys me.

I also changed the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) as it was as black as engine oil and it is not healthy. After brand new red color ATF was in, my manual mode gear shifting becomes smoother especially from 3rd gear to 4th gear and I could rev faster. So, the extra weight does not bother me at all.
My main concern is the ABS sensor and the weight of rear brakes when it is installed. I hope nothing goes wrong. Stay tune for more updates when it happens.

BTW, my lower arm bushing is starting to forsaken me. Gotta look for new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment