Friday, December 6, 2013

KLIMS 2013

Just a week ago, Malaysia had its annual motor show, the Kuala Lumpur International Motor Show (KLIMS) and I went on the last day of the 2 weeks event. As a frequent visitor to car news related websites, I already had bits of the participants and the cars that would be there in the motor show. This show mainly displays new and current available models that are on sale. Sometimes there are models that are coming soon and the occasional concept cars. My interest this year is non other than the exclusive and rare fully carbon fiber made, Lexus LFA. In my opinion, it is a once in a lifetime chance to be able to see this car in the flesh and I would be hard on myself if I miss this opportunity. This is the first car I saw when I enter the exhibition hall and my god it captivates me. This 4.8L V10 supercar with 555 hp looks fast and aerodynamic even when it is not moving and in my eyes a much more beautiful car than any Lamborghini, Ferrari or even the popular Nissan R35 GT-R. Simply, a masterpiece. 
















 After leaving the LFA, I moved on to look for other JDM machines and I found the car that I would definitely like to get my hands on one when I can afford it. It is the 2013 Subaru WRX STI sedan. I have been a fan of the Subaru Impreza since the Version 8 and especially loved the S204 based on the Version 9. Besides dropping the Impreza name, the 2013 models differ from the previous generations with the increase of power and adapting a more luxurious look rather than its rally look. It definitely looks like it is worth its price tag now. This is however, not my first time laying my eyes on this beauty but it is my first time in its seat. Next to the WRX STI, is the new RWD coupe, the Subaru BRZ. Of course, the BRZ is less famous than its sister the Toyota 86 because it was launched later. All the attention were stolen by the Toyota Marketing Campaign. Although a Subaru, I could not say I feel the same about it like how I feel about the WRX STI. Simply, I just like the fact it is a coupe. It has no turbo and no AWD that Subaru is famous for. Lastly, the Subaru booth showcase a transparent shell showing chrome parts of a car.Pretty nice touch.








Besides the LFA, I was also looking forward to take a look at the Ford booth for the Mustang Shelby GT500. The Mustang only available for left hand drive had 1 or 2 that reached our shores and I have only seen the ads but not the actual car on the road.The one they had during the motor show is the modified Shelby GT500. This is the only time a non JDM brand attracted me just because it is a rare sight that I am glad to be able to see it. There have been rumors that the right hand drive model would be sold here around next year but I got a feeling it would not be much of a sale because the engine displacement will be very big and the price tag will be high. Ford also brought in other new models such as the Fiesta ST but the Ford Focus Sport + Graphite Edition caught my eyes. The only car available in the market with an original fitted carbon hood, Recaro full bucket seat, 19 inch wheels and performance suspensions.









Back to the JDM scene, I could not say I am excited about the Honda booth but luckily for me there are somethings to check out while I was there. The Honda CR-Z is very popular since its launching worldwide and I even wrote 2 post (Hybrid TrendCR-Z Mugen RZ) regarding it and Honda kept developing more limited edition or concept with it. What we have here is the CR-Z RR concept mainly a CR-Z equipped with a wide range of dry carbon body kits. I do love the metallic orange, oversized brakes and large wheels. From the digital spec sheet, the interior is fillef with orange theme and carbon parts too. Have to love the orange and black Recaro seats. Also captured my attention is the full concept, the EV concept. Not much is known about this EV concept but it certainly fit the term concept. The interior looks like a board filled with computer designs stuck on and the brakes are just a photo. 







Making its debut here in Malaysia, Nissan brought in their EV car (Electric Vehicle), the Nissan Leaf. A fully electric car with a huge battery replacing an engine that has no exhaust or waste. Truly the next level of clean, environmental friendly vehicle of the future. Much better green car than a hybrid car because when there is no engine there is no CO2 emission. Cons of this car though is the heavy price and short mileage. I guess it won't sell like hot cakes.



Being a car mod enthusiast, I have been looking for some modded car. I found this Toyota 86 promoting Toyo Tires and the funny thing is it bears the Scion emblem and FR-S emblem on the back making people think it is a Scion. However, with the 86 piston emblem on the fender tell me that it is a Toyota 86 instead of the Scion FR-S. Plus Scion only sells car in the United States. I also manage to spot the Jackie Chan designed Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Pretty ugly for me but nevertheless a one of a kind model.




This sums up what is interesting to me during the motor show. It is kind of sad that only these few cars out of the many cars on display are deemed interesting to me. Like I said in the beginning, the KLIMS usually have little to offer but I am happy to be able to see the Lexus LFA and Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. I wonder what can I see next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment