Thursday, December 12, 2013

Test Run

Since I have not take the Celica out for a drive, I suddenly had the urge to do so. So even with my feet just healing from a sprain, I decided to take the car keys and bring the Celica out for a spin. The car actually feels a little unfamiliar to me although I have been driving it everyday for the past 3 years. It is all because of the missing mods especially the Recaro SR-6 seat. It is the first time I sit on the original seats since I removed the Recaro and I am not loving it. Apart from the lack of hugging from the seat, the car seat is positioned too high for me. I could not get comfortable with the position and the drive. I experienced back pain after a drive home from work and it is a first after 3 years of driving the Celica, which is unbelievable. The only good thing about the higher seating is I could pay toll or take parking tickets easier.

There are 2 things that is crucial for me to test. One is the handling because it suffered from the accident and second is the engine performance technically the lift system. Since it was repaired until now, I have yet properly test the lift system that usually boost the power from 6,200 rpm to 7,800 rpm. However with its stock E.C.U., I will have have to reach optimum temperature before the lift can take place. It seems to me that it takes longer than usual. I suspect something might be wrong with the thermostat.
While waiting for the temperature to rise, I went to test the handling on a road that kind of remind me of a mountain pass road, perfect for testing a car's handling ability.

When driving I was feeling the weight of the steering wheel and without the thicker anti roll bar and the front tower plate, I felt it is too light. It could also be due to the new steering rack (could be faulty).  It feels wobbly even with the stiff suspension and the difference from not responsiveness and oversteer is just a turn away. After removing the 4 pot calipers, the front wheel is now inside the fender and that reduces the stability of the car. I also get reminded why I modified the brakes with the 4 pot caliper and bigger disc. The stock single caliper brakes are really not responsive and I always have to step it all. It even made me jump a bump. I remember I have to downshift in manual mode to properly stop the car. The only solution I found is to use my heels. Dangerous indeed.

Finally when the temperature is right, I hit the pedal to the metal. You have to remember that the Celica have a high revving engine and I do need quite a stretch to reach 6000 rpm even in first gear. I did struggle but had 3 times where I reach the lift zone. I was really anticipating the lift because one, it is addictive and two, I have not had a lift experience for a long long time. I could not say I am surprised when something went wrong. The lift came around 6200 rpm but when it reaches 7000 rpm the engine starts to jerk and would not go faster until I upshift. Then, it runs normally until another lift. I called my friend and he said it could be a sensor going haywire caused by lack of driving. I will have to send it to be fixed.

For Illustration purpose (photoshopped)

No comments:

Post a Comment