Saturday, December 28, 2013

Temporary Ride

It is known from one of my previous post that my Celica has been sent for repairs and because the mechanic is a friend of mine, I got a great deal. When I sent my car to his workshop I would be without a ride home and the work needed to be done will take at least 3 days. So, in exchange my friend loan me his Celica while mine is at his workshop. Actually this Celica of his is of no stranger to this blog because it has been featured here before but it is a little bit different now. What has change is the removal of the powerful Blitz Supercharger kit, all the cool gauges and its super computer, the Power FC. So now, it is just a regular manual Celica with super loud exhaust muffler. Now since the accident, I have not been driving the Celica and have not had any exciting drives and knowing I could have a manual Celica really got my blood pumping fast again.


Familiar 4 Pot Brake
It has been over 2 weeks and still my Celica could not be diagnosed. I am getting worried but at the same time, I have been enjoying the manual one. Firstly, I will talk about what is familiar about this Celica that I find close to my own Celica. On the outside, there is not one part that is similar with a different bumper, different spoiler, different lights and different rim. When you venture inside, the seats, the interior lights on the dash and interior color tone is different especially the exciting manual shift lever. Since my Celica is a facelift model, only the name, shape and design are the same. However, there are some small bits that reminds me of my own Celica. On the outside, there is only the 4 pot brakes that I myself have upgraded. The inside there is the facelift cluster meter, auto transmission paddle shift buttons, the passenger seats, metal pedals and the door sills. Sure brings back memory just by sitting in the cockpit and instantly you get that racing feeling.




This is not the first manual NA Celica that I have driven. So, I am familiar with the difference in performance with manual and auto transmission. The manual car will just keep going and the torque is great. It is so nice that even the 20 kg brakes feel normal here compared to the heavy weight I felt on my auto. This car has a slightly hard clutch and the pedal is not easy to engage especially when you need to start the car. Since I drive it daily, I have been introduced to traffic jams, slopes, bumps and some instant when you can't get the gear in and this is a good learning experience for me. I find out that stock clutches are the easiest to drive but this hard to handle clutch gave me more confidence in driving a manual car. The brakes are great and I am used to it but the handling needs work. It has the same aftermarket suspension that I had and is a Superstrut suspension. However, the car is on a much stiffer setting than my already stiff setting and maybe because of the large spacer it uses, the car is not steady and balance. It feels like it will jump around even at small and low speed corners which is surprising given its stiff setting.

Favourite Part of It

The worst part is that horrible exhaust muffler. It is so deafening especially in the Celica which has almost no sound proofing done. The sound comes immediately after 2,000 rpm which is quite instantly since the close ratio gearbox revs quickly, forcing me to shift up really quickly and in a minute I am already at 4th gear just to avoid the sound. So, I have been cruising on 6th gear most of the time and the worst is when you are in a housing area or when I am back home during midnight. It is a hassle to drive while trying to keep it quiet. Luckily with 2 weeks of practice, I manage to control the sound to a minimal. Sometimes it results in jerks when on 1st gear. It makes me wonder how could all its owners stand that bloody noise and how people like loud exhaust sounds. It causes headache sometimes especially after work and it consumes petrols a lot too. Do not get me wrong when I complain because it has been a joy to drive a manual Celica. It is like a dream come true and the power is addictive like how a high rev NA with instant respond feels like. However, I think it is time to get my Celica back. 


The annoying loud exhaust muffler
P.S. All the photos show parts that are familiar except manual shifter and exhaust muffler.


No comments:

Post a Comment