Friday, December 27, 2013

Comparison Part 1

2013 MAZDA 6 VS 2005 TOYOTA CELICA

Engine
Mazda came up with a new engine of its own known as the Skyactiv series that is said to have high power but with good fuel efficiency. This is made possible by mainly increasing the compression ratio of the engine. My Mazda 6 comes with the Skyactiv 2.5L, 4 piston NA engine that produces 185 hp and 250 Nm of torque. It also have one the highest compression ratio of 13:1 for mass produced cars. When you drive the car, the acceleration is quite decent for a D-segment sedan but with its weight it does feel a bit sluggish especially when you are stuck in a traffic jam and want to change lanes. Besides the weight, it could be the result of using a drive-by-wire throttle body like most modern cars that usually have lower response. In my opinion, the engine shines most when you hit the right rpm before you change gear (around 3,200 rpm) and at top speed. I remember cruising down a highway at 160 km/h and with a step to the pedal, the car easily accelerates to 180 km/h with ease. It gives the idea that it could still run all the way. In comparison, the Celica has a smaller but slightly more powerful engine. Overall, I would say the Celica beats the Mazda 6 in the lower rpm range because it uses a more traditional drive-by-cable throttle body that gives quick response as soon as you touch the pedal. In addition, the Celica is 400 kg lighter and has a lower stance making it more aerodynamic and better acceleration. However, at high speed such as 160 km/h it feels like it has given everything and takes more to reach higher speed.


Gearbox
Fitting with the Skyactiv engines, Mazda also develops its own Skyactiv Drive Auto Transmission. According to Mazda, the Skyactiv Drive combines all the advantages of other auto transmission such as CVTs, Dual Clutches and Step Auto. Hearing that, I can't help but feel impressed and look forward to what this Skyactiv Drive could do. In my opinion, the proper gearbox would be a gearbox that comes with 6 speeds and I am definitely glad that the Mazda 6 has 6 speeds. I feel the Skyactiv Drive is tailored made for the engine because of how well it works together. The gear change is smooth and feels natural whether in D mode or manually changing in manual mode with the gear stalk or paddle shifters. However having said that, the gear ratio is not exactly close and even throughout the 6 gears. Some gears are nearer some are far apart but then again this is a close ratio sports car gearbox. It does give a sense that its main purpose is to save fuel so it feels a little reluctant to speed up especially at low rpm. The Celica on the other hand uses a traditional auto gearbox with only 4 speeds that is definitely not enough for a sports car, leaving me wanting more gears when I race the car and also manual shifting on the gear lever. However because it is for a sports car, the gear change is very smooth and despite the lack of gears it does its job really well especially in manual mode that gives you the sportiness you need.

Manual Shifting possible with Mazda 6
Handling
Having a sports car that is not exactly really quick as a daily drive, handling becomes a key point. I once driven in a race track with other faster sports car and super cars and in the straights I could only see their exhaust fumes but when come to a corner, I was right behind them. That is when I started to appreciate good handling cars. So whenever I test drive a car, I will surely test its handling. The Mazda 6 is known to have a slightly stiffer suspension in the D-segment car range. This is an advantage against its rival for me. Other D-segment cars including the Mercedes E Class focus very much on comfort and thus have very soft suspension which is not to my liking. What the Mazda 6 provides is a comfortable ride but with a hint of sportiness. At some point, I am always reminded of how lucky that the Mazda 6 is not completely on the soft side. One of the reason I chose and could live with the Mazda 6.  Definitely a sporty sedan and just what I would want if I am at that executive age. My Celica is a good handling street car and cornering is one of its best feature. The stiff suspension, low stance and thicker anti roll bar really make the car sticks to the ground and I can maneuver through most corners easily. Thus, making me want more out of the Mazda 6 but quickly remind myself that it is not a sports car. We must also not forget about the steering wheel as it also affects the handling. Usually a light and small steering wheel means better response. The Mazda 6 has a smaller and lighter steering comparing to the Celica. So, it feels much better to maneuver the car. In this aspect the Mazda 6 wins but if you add in weight and suspension stiffness, the Celica is still better.


No comments:

Post a Comment