Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My First Ride

As posted on my previous post, my first daily drive was a 1993 Toyota Corolla 1.6 SEG. I don't know the year of the car as it was my dad's company's car. When I was 17 and driving that Corolla I didn't know much about cars and was just thankful I have a car to use. My first impression of the car was it is very old. The exterior and interior is old due to it being an old car and the interior is coming off bit by bit. Most importantly, the radio is not working and does not play CDs. The windows and glasses are all blurry. It may sound like a lousy car but as my dad says, Toyotas are very reliable.

As i drove the car, I started to appreciate the Corolla, especially its low height, which makes the car stable even in stock. The 2nd gear from the auto gearbox does help me a lot driving on steep areas. As it is in a bad shape, it really trained me to be an alert driver as it is hard to see from it and there were no reverse sensors. Overall, it really made my life easier with my own transport.

I drove the Corolla from September 2006 to February 2007, where I became a sandwich in a car accident in my housing area. The car had bumper damages and shocked me slightly as it was my first accident. 2 things I learned from the accident, no.1, a car without ABS is dangerous and no.2, accidents suck. HAHA. Furthermore, it was the day before my birthday when the accident took placed. So much for Happy Birthday, huh ?

After that faithful day, I bid farewell to the Toyota Corolla. Now the car is still with my dad's company and I see it once in a while when I stop by the company. I had a lot of memories with that car and although it's junk at first but it proved its reliability to me. No wonder many enthusiasts still love the Corolla. I posted some photo of the car from the internet. I didn't take photos of the car I drove cause it's in the office and I don't go there often. So, this will do. Enjoy.











3 comments:

  1. I remember the first ride I had when I was in college. My parents gave me this 2002 Toyota Prius and it really served me well. Having our first car truly makes the impression that it’ll last. In fact, I still have my Prius up and running! I make sure that I have it regularly maintained to keep its performance consistent. How about you, Criz? Are you still driving your Corolla?
    - Ava Harness

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's normal to feel bad after getting involved in an accident especially if it's your first time. Good thing, you were spared from injuries even though your car was sandwiched. At least you were still able to celebrate your birthday the next day. I hope that you got paid for the damages you got from the incident though.

    -Maggie Malone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I did not notice there were comments on such an old post.

    @Ava Harness
    The Corolla is actually a registered car under my dad's shop. SO, he borrowed me during that time. It is still with the shop but as an employee's car. It is sad to see him abuse the Corolla and it is just a heap of junk now.

    @Maggie Malone
    It was my first ever accident. I have been through couple of them now. It serves as a lesson that will serve me in future accidents. I did get paid for the damages but all the money went to the car in front.

    ReplyDelete