Monday, September 22, 2014

New Technology

Back then in the 80s to the 2000 era, it used to be just manual and automatic transmissions. However as technology becomes more advanced, new development was made. The result is the dual-clutch gearbox among many other new inventions or innovations. There are different variants (wet vs dry) and different names from different brands such as the DSG from Volkswagen. I have not driven one yet but I have heard various stories especially from Volkswagen owners all over the Internet. I remember watching 2 videos that compared manual and dual-clutch variant of the same car. It really tells a lot about the difference and what the still new dual-clutch gearbox can do.  Really an eye-opener.


Video #1 for Volkswagen Golf GTI MK5

Video #2 for Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer X  (Time 35:33).

If you have watched the videos like I did, you will realize why it is the trend of the new automotive world where supercars, sportscars and even your everyday cars are using dual-clutches. I am sure you could look it up on the Internet for the benefits of this transmission. So, I am not going to give you an elaborate introduction on this great invention. The only thing about it that catches my attention is the fact it is faster than the traditional manual gearbox. That is until my friend bought a Nissan GT-R R35 that uses a 6-speed Dual-clutch transmission. Since his graduation, I seldom see him because of his work but one day I was visiting his house and talked about his GT-R. He surprised me by telling me he has not driven the GT-R for 2 weeks and the cause is none other than the transmission.

GT-R Dual Clutch Gearbox
According to him, one piece of clutch is for the 1st, 3rd and 5th gear while the other clutch is for the 2nd, 4th and 6th gear. It so happens that one of his clutch is burned and needs to be replace. He could not do it for 2 weeks mainly due to work but also because he could not drive as the gears won't shift. My main concern besides the troublesome feature is the price. One piece of clutch for his GT-R cost about RM 15,000 and when you replace one, it is better to replace the other one too because it is most likely quite thin. I am not sure whether it is just the GT-R or that every clutch for dual-clutch transmissions are that expensive. That is the price for new inventions. I might as well drive a traditional manual car or perhaps leave the expensive toys to the more financially able crowd. Nevertheless, a great invention.


No comments:

Post a Comment