Friday, September 13, 2013

Test Drive: Mazda 6, Sealed the Deal

I sneaked out one afternoon and went to a nearby Mazda showroom to look at the brand new Mazda 6. This particular showroom is a small one and I remember my previous experience here where it is difficult to get a test drive unit due to the lack of units available. I found the showroom unit and the moment I lay my eyes on it, I was mesmerized. I have seen the car on brochures and the internet but when you see it physically, it gives an entirely different feeling to it. I tried my luck, knowing that it will not be possible and asked for a test drive. The sales representative told me each unit they have there is sold but he could arrange one the next day if I could confirm about the test drive. So, I just took a brochure and left. Then, I was told that a friend of a friend owns a Mazda 6 and could arrange for me to meet and get a test drive.

I hesitate at my dad's decision to buy a large/executive/luxury sedan for my next car because these cars always give me the impression that it suits older gentleman that prefers a comfortable ride. As for me, I do not want any of those luxuries and instead, I want a powerful, road hugging, handling machine. So, finding one that fulfills my requirement is a very long shot. Having that in mind, I did not have much expectation when I went for the test drive. During the test drive, I was grinning and smiling from ear to ear as I did not expect the kind of ride the Mazda 6 gave me. In short, the test drive sealed the deal. I was set on getting one despite not testing other cars. The next day, I gave my dad the thumbs up approval for the Mazda 6 and he ordered one.



I will tell you why it sealed the deal. First of all, it is already obvious the looks inside and outside is sporty and an eye candy. First I tested the power of the Mazda 6's 2.5 L SkyActiv engine. It is a 4 cylinder engine that produces 185 hp and 250 Nm of torque. Bear in mind that I tested the 2.5 L V6 from the Lexus IS 250 and to my surprise the Mazda 6 seems faster than the Lexus. The torque can be felt when stepping on full throttle and it is responsive even at wrong gear. Next I tried its manual mode with the gear lever shifting and the paddle shift on the steering. I had bad experience with my dad's Benz' manual mode and nowadays it is a trend to have it so not many are refined enough. The Mazda 6 have nice gear ratio and the shifting is smooth for a large sedan with 6 speed.



After that, I tested the suspension setting of the Mazda 6. It is promoted to have sporty setting for a car of its class. I quickly steered left and right on a straight road and a big flyover u-turn to test its handling. You can tell there is a slight stiffness that I like but still not enough. However, considering a car in this segment to have the slight stiffness, it is better than nothing. The brakes seem to be able to stop the car at most speed. It is no 4 pot like my Celica but I guess it does its job. Overall built seems good and its spacious. A little too big in overall width and length. All of the above points made me smile like a young boy at a candy store while driving the car. Definitely, a good car. Can't wait for mine to arrive.


No comments:

Post a Comment