Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Demod Part 1

I finally had the time to send my Celica to my friend's workshop for the demodding process. It was a long process with many parts to be removed and replaced with stock parts. It took 6 hours from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. and I was helping out too. All my mods were concentrated on the front end of the car and we began with the engine bay. The tower plate, engine oil cap, spark plug cover and short ram air filter are the first to be removed. Then, the difficult part. the 4 pot brakes and the anti roll bar were next. It was the most time consuming part of the whole process. Next to come off is the oil cooler, originally used for cooling my ATF. After the mechanical side mods are done, the electronic side is next. The combination of M7 EM-CON and the Camcon plus the Pivot Speed Meter caused a big wiring mess with wires spliced here and there, and connecting like a spider web. It took a lot of eye power to separate it one by one. Although most of the parts that I want to remove is removed, there are still some remaining small details that need to be taken care of. So, there will be a part 2.

Some of the mods such as the 4 pot brakes and anti roll bar were put in the Celica to increase handling and braking ability. Immediately after removing those and replaced with stock, I can totally feel the difference with and without those parts. The car's alignment is off and is not adjusted because of missing rims and when I was driving to my friend's workshop, I felt like I was at the gym because I have to fight to make the car go straight but I still feel in control. However when I remove the anti roll bar, the oversteer becomes more obvious and harder to step on the throttle most of the time. The original stock brakes feels like jelly or cake compare to the 4 pot. I had to downshift for engine braking instead of just relying on the brakes. I was really worry as the brakes only bite when I step the brake pedal hard giving me a sense of anxiety. Having the 4 pot brakes for 2 years made me forgot the horrible original brakes but now I am haunted by it.  I just hope the parts and the Celica can be sold quickly. So, far I have a few interest on my parts but it is too expensive for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment