Monday, March 4, 2013

Leaking

One day while I was driving some distance, the temperature meter in my meter cluster went higher than usual even reaching the maximum but would fluctuate. In my 3 years of driving my Celica, even at high speed and long distances, the temperature would stay at the optimum level. This is why I was so surprised and dumbfounded as to what has happen. While I was waiting for my friend, I pop the bonnet to do a small check. I was thinking of finding some burnt leaves or something blocking the vents and holes on my front bumper. The fans are working and I could not see anything out of order.


I thought of other reasons that could contribute to this increase in heat. These includes faulty radiator, cooler and liquids that help cool the car. At home, I popped the bonnet once more to do a more thorough check. I started to notice that the coolant tank or reservoir is empty. So I filled it up with water to ensure the whole tank is filled. Just when I thought I found the source and solution of heating problem. However, as soon as 30 minutes after driving the same incident happened. It is as if the water did not helped at all. I checked the tank everyday after I drove and the tank would be as dry as the dessert. It has to be a leak but I do not see piles of water on the ground where I park.


I happened to go for a trip one weekend. Before I left, I filled the tank with water because I want to test whether is there a leak. After 2 days, the water level was as I left it. I was sure that there is no leak because if there is a leak, it would be all gone when I reach home. I kept driving the car with filling water before every drive until I was free to send my car for repair. Finally, the source of the leak was found located under the air filter box. The radiator side plastic cover inlet broke and water was leaking from there. According to my mechanic, I was lucky that the box was sort of holding the pipe together which is why there were no signs of a leak and the Celica could still be driven. 




I had to leave the car overnight in order for my mechanic to remove the radiator to send for repair. The faulty plastic cover is replaced with a new unit and sprayed black. Since all the water and coolant from the tank was leaked, it is time to pour in some coolant. Usually it is a mixture of coolant and water in the tank. The Honda coolant that is blue in color was chosen by my mechanic and it took quite some time to ensure the radiator has enough water to fill the whole radiator for cooling purposes. After this, the car seem faster and to a surprise, some time it is cooler than it should be. I wonder is the coolant used too cool ? So far, it is working fine and what I learned from this is to make sure to check your coolant tank once in a while to ensure your car do not overheat. Do take note on this.







No comments:

Post a Comment