Saturday, June 9, 2012

Installed

Tomorrow is Super GT and as planned, I went to install my newly acquired Short Ram open pod air intake kit. Usually it is done by removing the whole stock air box and replace it with the open pod kit. But, I follow the idea of my mechanic friend and only remove the top while remaining the bottom half of the stock air box. This blocks any hot air from the radiator and only allow cool air into the air filter similar to the original design.

Removed items: Stock air box top (white), rubber piping, air box bottom (black) and K&N replacement air filter
While the idea is very good, the filter does not sit well on the box. So, modification had to be done on the box. After some time cutting the box, the air filter now sits well in the box and does not hit the bonnet when closing. There are some parts that is not used for installation like the bracket and the red tube.The first difference I noticed is the sound of air suction. It made acceleration louder than before. It sounds really nice around 4000 rpm. I have yet to hear the sound it will make when it hits the lift region.

After fitting with air box bottom
Secondly, I felt that the acceleration to be smoother. In other words, faster response but I would like to test it against my rival and see the result. My mechanic friend mention about better fuel efficient and this is still due for testing. I will be testing the difference in power during tomorrow's convoy to the circuit. Overall, I am pleased with result but I should drive more and see further.


No comments:

Post a Comment