Sunday, February 19, 2012

First Japanese Turbo

Before I left for UK, there was one member whose Celica had a heart attack and passed away. The owner who was preparing for an upgrade saw that as a chance and decided not to fix the engine but decided to take upon the task of transplanting a new heart. His choice of heart is non other than the Toyota 3SGTE engine found in the famous MR2, GT4 Celicas and Caldina.



The 2.0 turbo engine has always been a favourite in the Toyota world besides the 1jz and 2jz from Supra. Since it has been allocated in the Celica GT4 variants since the 5th generation, it has been the in the wish list of 7th generation Celica. This project has been done in a few places but it was the first attempt in Malaysia. Many have doubt the possibility and the possible outcome. When I left,  it was in no progress but now it is out on the road and approved by the government.

As soon as the news of its completion reached me, it was something I had to see with my own eyes. The time has finally came for me to not only see the beast but drive the beast as well. Upon researching on the engine specs, you will know it is very fast engine but I never expect the ride that it gave me. I am very rusty with my manual driving but even I could drive it easily because of its soft clutch.

The power delivery is smooth unlike other Japanese turbo car I have come across with and there is no turbo lag that is famous on Evos. Even in the 4th gear, power would come just by pressing the pedal without the need to shift gears. The lightweight of 7th generation does help too. Overall it gave me the feeling that I could drive this car daily without much difficulty. Unbelievably smooth and tame yet powerful. He sure prove many people wrong. I hope I could have this too but from a ST205 Celica instead of his ST215 Caldina..



No comments:

Post a Comment