Tuesday, April 17, 2012

New Mod

It's been a long time since I upgraded my car and this is entirely due to the lack of money and cheap parts to modify. Up until now I have done nothing but research for what is beneficial to my car and is cheap for me. There were a few ideas I have been keen on and to start off I went for an easy mod. I bought a used Big Bore Throttle Body (BBTB) from a friend.

This BBTB is actually the stock throttle body for the 2zz-ge but the inner diameter had been ported from 65mm to 68mm. This causes the opening to be bigger than the stock throttle body and allows more air to travel into the engine which produces more power. It was an easy job to just remove the stock one and install the ported one.

Ported (Left) & Stock (Right)
The main issue was fuel consumption. Some say ported throttle body will cause higher fuel consumption and some say with proper tuning it will be fine. So after installing the throttle body, I had my car tuned using street tuning style. It was my first time and the difference from a regular dyno tune is the environment is more accurate like driving on the road. The tuner can also tune specifically for each driver's need.

Thanks to TopSecret for the tune !
It took almost an hour to get my car to the optimum performance. I told the guy I want good fuel consumption and power at the lower rpm. To my surprise, I learned that when you get the air fuel ratio right, even if you do not give too much fuel you still can get power. I also learned that the original auto ECU has very high fuel consumption. I'm glad I can tune my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment