Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Test Drive: Kia Picanto

Didn't expect that I would be writing another post with this title but here I am with another test drive. This contribution is thanks to my friend's new addition to the family, a 2011 Naza (Kia) Picanto. I have never been much into Korean cars except the Hyundai Coupe (because it's a sports model) and the recent very popular Hyundai Sonata and Hyundai Tucson (already reviewed here).

From my friend, I got some information regarding the Picanto. It is a small car, smaller than a Myvi but bigger than a Viva. The front is not to my taste with its teardrop shape headlights but the rear is quite stunning with looks that does not spell cheap car design. My friend got the sports edition which includes front diffuser (plastic), side skirts and 15" sports rim.

The interior is very minimal and plasticky all around as expected but the meters are very a nice touch with red illumination. My friend did not know about the car's foglight although it is clearly visible from the exterior (he is a little more blur than I thought). We had a tough time locating the switch for the foglight and found out that it is a button on the center console. The back seats were too short although there are lots of headroom which is weird. Hard to lean down as headrest would be at your neck and upper back

Soon we went for a test drive. This car has a small 1000 cc engine and the performance is bound to be disappointing. According to my friend, the first gear is useless but the other gears were decent. When I drove, I felt it was just acceptable and realize the floor was shaking which lead me to worry about the sturdiness of the chassis. The brakes was fantastic as a light touch could stop the car. I also did a U-turn to test the absorber and it was great with minimal body roll.

I would say that besides the engine power, not bad for a car under RM 50k where the brakes and suspension set up is acceptable. When in comparison with his Myvi SE, I would say it is worth the money.








No comments:

Post a Comment