Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Test Drive: Honda CR-Z, the Chosen One.

Before we enter this post, I really have to say, I am very annoyed at the fact that both my father and my friend already retrieved their respective cars while I am still stuck waiting for paperwork to be done. Both viewed their cars after me but already driving their cars. When will I be able to get mine ?
Back to the story. So my friend who was looking for a Honda CR-Z finally decided and picked the one with very high mileage, the more expensive, the horrible violet unit with a sank clutch pedal. In a few days, he got his car and I asked him out on the same day for a round of testing. While driving me around, he did all kinds of tests that I could think of. He did a handling test, a zero to 100 test, circling around the same area for at least 6 times and a red line test. We even drove into the highway just to see how fast it feels like in reality, just to feel the maximum power of the CR-Z and see what it can do. He certainly was smiling every second of it and I thought he really love the CR-Z.

Mugen Front Skirt and Grill

Mugen Rear Skirt and Spoiler
After he was satisfied, he stop by the road side and swapped with me. I was excited for the test because the last one I drove was just a short distance and I could not sort-of thrash the car and I am glad that this unit is bone stock except for the spoiler and skirting around the car. Going in the car, the first thing I noticed that the clutch pedal wasn't lower than usual like he said it was. He told me after he got the car, he brought it to a garage and fix that and got new tires too. So, I started to move and  I had to adjust the seats a couple of time while driving, just to get the ideal seating position for my height, style and the car. My friends is shorter than I am and prefers to seat laid back while I like to seat straight and low. I was finally ready to test this CR-Z my way and even in the housing area, I was already all smiles. It finally came to me the reason why my friend was all smile when he was driving.

Notice the S+ button on Steering Wheel. Only on 2013 and above models.


As soon as I step on the accelerator, I can feel the car move eagerly. It feels quick, it feels nimble and it will keep zooming happily down the road. The engine is responsive even under 3,000 rpm and the 6-speed manual gearbox shifts easily and nicely with a solid feel to it. The CR-Z just drive as how you want it to go. After a few rounds of just driving in circles in the housing area, it was time to do some drag test. I tried with the normal mode first and then the sports mode. I found out that in normal mode, the redline is around 6,800 rpm and in sports mode, it is around 7,000 rpm. Throttle response seems to be quicker in the sports mode but the effects seems minor to me. Next, I drove it into the highway to test its capabilities. While I was on the highway, I move into the fast lane although a car coming down that lane fast. I downshifted and hit the pedal to the metal but the CR-Z felt tired and wouldn't speed up. I agreed with my friend that the CR-Z feels quick in town but lacking on the highway. Then on a hard curve, I felt some body roll and I couldn't get a smooth turn. I thought it was a shame for such a good car but an adjustable suspension kit will solve this easily.

Normal Mode
Eco Mode
Sports Mode
All this while driving it, cars like the Toyota MR-S and Mazda MX-5 (NC) came into my mind. These cars were popular for its agility and good handling. Many considered these cars, a driver's car, despite having small engines with low output because it requires a driver's full attention. I definitely think the CR-Z is a FWD version of these cars as it only have 130 bhp and 190 Nm of torque for the facelift model but it is also small and light. I have not had so much fun driving a car in a long time ever since the Celica was sold and the CR-Z is absolutely a fun car to drive and a good night for me. I had a good night sleep after that and I anticipate the arrival of my 350Z even more. I am going to enjoy it so much when it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment