Saturday, May 4, 2013

Carbon Hood Part 2

Today I had 2 tasks regarding my hood. The first is to install the hood pin. Well the part that goes on the hood is already attached and ready from the day I bought the hood. This hood pin design is rarely found on hoods because it requires a big space and many are reluctant to cut their expensive hood for the big hole seen below to fit this lock. This design looks much better than the alternative so I am happy with it especially since it comes with the hood. Now many will ask why is it necessary to install this hood pin is because the hood is too light and would open if driven at high speed. I did not drive too fast before this fearing it would lift on its own and I look forward to testing the power when I have the time. To install the pin, holes had to be drilled but the most time consuming thing is to adjust it so it locks properly and is not too tight and tear the hood. Also, on one side the pin is too near the radiator hose and it had to be shorten.

Hood Lock
Lock from Below
Hood Pin
Installed
The second task is to adjust the height of the hood by using the stock hood rubbers shown below. Now the hood is lower on the left side. It needs these rubbers to lift the hood up but the stock rubbers are too big and the fiber frame is too thick. So, a replacement rubber is used instead. The hood is raised but just by a little and nothing could be done. This is common because no carbon fiber or fiberglass product that is hand-made will be 100% fitting because of the material. I pay a lot attention on details and this really frustrates me but nothing much could be done. I just have to accept it as it is. As for the stock rubbers, I will keep as I am keeping my stock hood just in case one day i would de-mod and sell the car.

Stock Hood Rubbers
Drilling through thick Fiberglass
Rubber from other Source

Even as one day has passed after getting the hood, I already have some problems or concern about this hood. First thing is the design of the hood. The scoop is too big and the the fin is removable. The scoop is too light and too big that driving fast could crack the hood which already happened. The fin area, I am worried the water may leak in is it is not screwed tightly. The person who installed the hood pin says the quality does not reflect japanese product. The second thing is the fitment and paint. Since it is fiber, the surface when painted has a strange cloud like pattern under the sun and many had to be done to make it fit. Even with a lot of effort it still is just 90% fitting. Finally, the last part is when I open my hood to see my white engine cover with a black spot. I soon realized that the screw on the scoop area is hitting the engine cover. So, I have to change the screw to save my engine cover.

Crack at Scoop Area
The Screw on Hood (top) effect on Engine Cover (bottom)

1 comment: