Friday, July 25, 2014

The Next Level

The Honda world-famous "Type R" models are nicknamed "Turbo-Killers" for a reason and that reason, in my opinion, is that these are the most powerful Naturally Aspirated (NA). Its i-VTEC engine (V-TEC in the past) is a high revving, high power engine with high torque at your disposal. The specialty lies in the lift system that gives a boost of power in the powerband. It started with the NSX Type R (NA1) up to the latest Civic Type R (FD2R) which are all very fast to say the least. Although the NSX was an MR sports car, most Type R models are FWD and were at first laughed at by other car makers. Soon, the Type Rs proved themselves that Front Wheel NA cars can be fast and catch up with Turbocharged sports car. My first car was not a Type R but it was a close copy of it.


In 1999, Toyota noticed Honda's increasing market share in sports car and based their next Celica on the popular Integra Type R (DC2) in order to compete. Toyota replaced the most powerful variant of the Celica from the GT4's Turbo AWD setup with the 7th generation Celica (ZZT231) by favoring a new high rev NA engine and FWD setup. On paper, DC2 and ZZT231 have a lot of similarities. They both have 1.8L high rev engine, similar horsepower and torque, FWD setup and most importantly, the lift system. Thus, driving the ZZT231 Celica gave me the experience of almost driving the most powerful NA sports car. I gain the knowledge of how FWD handles and how to get the most out of the high rev engine and its lift system. Now, having experienced the best in NA engines, I think I should move on to the next level.

Humans are bound to be curious about something new or different. In this situation, I am no different. I have thought of trying new variants of sports cars. For my next sports car, I would definitely like a Turbo car. It does not matter whether it will be an RWD or an AWD because both would be something new to experience. Having said that, I actually have a little experience of driving a Turbo RWD car. My dad's Mercedes Benz E200 CGI has a 1.8L Turbo engine and is an RWD. That is why maybe I am a bit heading towards the AWD area and I have one particular model in my mind that fits the budget and has the heritage. The GT-R, Evolution Lancer and Impreza are a few examples of Japanese Turbo AWD models that are available and my bias is the Subaru Impreza. I have not narrowed down which model I might purchase but any will do. The Boxer engine, the 6-speed manual gearbox, 280 bhp and the bass tone exhaust. The thought of these features already makes me feel all excited.  That would be the next level for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment